The week of October 10th, I had finals in to of my 8 week classes, plus a midterm for another class. Pat happened to be on spring break, so instead of spending his Spring break the way he planned, he was very helpful with the boys and around the house so I could study, take tests, write several papers and do homework. The day of my exams, Pat took Anthony on a hike so I could study and take my tests in peace (I had Adrian but it is easier to take a test with a 6month old than a 2.5 year old). As much as I enjoyed the quiet house, I missed out on sine Adventures! While on the trail Pat had to answer the call of nature and let Anthony roam for a bit. While answering the call, Pat heard Anthony yell "Beans!" When Pat turned around and walked over to Anthony, Anthony was spitting out well chewed rabbit poop and saying "yucky beans". Anthony enjoyed the hike and had lots of fun. When they returned to the truck, Pat took Anthony out of the carrier and let him wander around the gravel parking lot. Anthony wandered over near the picnic tables at running speed. Pat told Anthony to be careful but as Anthony slowed down, he tripped and landed right next to a prickly pear cactus. Pat ran over to Anthony and picked him up. Anthony missed the big cactus, but landed on a piece of cactus laying on the ground, which was now pinning his shorts to his leg! Anthony was very tough and didn't cry or even scream as Pat was pulling the cactus out of leg. The irony of this event is that almost a year after Pat and I were married, we went mountain biking on an 'easy' trial in NM. As we came up a hill there was a sharp turn at the peak. Pat of course was ahead of me; when he went around that turn he knew I would crash, so he stopped at around the corner and waited. Sure enough, as I came to the peak and attempted to make the turn, the bike slid out from under me. Pat has always told me when the bike slips, bail to avoid injury. Following Pat's advice I bailed, only I bailed on a small prickly pear cactus. When I got up I has a piece of prickly pear (just like Anthony did) pinning my shorts to my thigh. I wasn't as tough as Anthony, I screamed like a girl :)
Here is the mark the prickly pear cactus left in Anthony thigh
Two days later we noticed this scrap on the back of Anthony's leg. We can only assume it is from the hiking adventure.
This is the cactus Pat was answering his call to nature, when Anthony found the "beans"
These aren't the actual "beans", but they were in the same spot Anthony found them. Anthony must have recognized them cause from his carrier he yelled "Beans! I want some beans!"
This hike Anthony wasn't too excited. He kept asking to go back to the truck :( But as diligent parents, we made him hike!

No comments:
Post a Comment